Pages

Wednesday 6 August 2014

Maui's Dolphins - Co-Construction Day 12

Year 9

We started learning how to analyse the film today through the lense of Issues Facing the Maui's Dolphins. However, I'm not really happy with the way I started this. I'm giving them the issues, rather than letting them explore the issues for themselves. We did nice analysis and showed how four techniques worked together in one short clip - and even on one still shot - but without the contextual links to Maui's Dolphins, this is going to be weak. I'm going to have to address this and do the next part of the co-construction: write a research project with them.

Year 10

Finished most of the speeches today - Some really nice ones being given. I wonder if they would have been better with longer to practise. Though, the last lot of speeches weren't great and they had oodles of time to practise.

We also made links between what they have learned about Maui's Dolphins in their project and what they 'saw', 'thought', and 'wondered' about the gorillas from the still shots yesterday. The class has some really strong ideas already about how the two completely different groups are connected.

I was stoked today when I finally got around to checking off their assignments. 100% submission rate! Never had 100% in without having to chase them. I think a BIG contributing factor was that they had ownership over the process and could choose their mode of assessment. I wonder how well this will work when they start to having to do have-to-do tasks that they aren't as thrilled about.

No comments:

Post a Comment