Pages

Tuesday 5 August 2014

Maui's Dolphins - Co-Construction Day 11

These titles are starting to get a bit monotonous. Oh well, At some point I'm sure I'll bring all the experiences together and write something a bit more 'wow' factor and 'jouzy' (how do you even spell that word??). In the mean time, this will serve my purpose to remind me of all the things that happen.

Year 9s

We took a completely different road today - commemorating the centenary of the beginning of WW1.

Year 10s

Because I knew that I was having a visitor come in and watch today's lesson, I mixed up my plan a bit. We stopped speeches for the day and jumped ahead to the lesson where I link the issues facing the Maui's Dolphins to the film, Gorillas in the Mist. The coloured post-its proved to be a hit!! All that colour therapy...

We started the lesson reviewing what the issues were that the Maui's Dolphins faced.

The main part of the lesson was spent looking at eight different pages. On four pieces of A3 paper I printed a different screen shot from the film, each representing a different idea from the text. On another four pieces of A3 I printed URLs to clips with similar issues that are facing the Maui's Dolphins. For five minutes, groups of students looked at one image and on post-it notes wrote answers to the following questions:

  • What do I see?
  • What do I think? (include what issue you think this page relates to)
  • What do I wonder?
They then stuck the post-its around the edge of the picture. Each group was able to look at 4 pictures in the time we had this lesson. At the end we started to create a venn diagram with the issues that the Maui's Dolphins faced on the one side and the issues for the Gorillas on the other.

It was really awesome having my visitor in today because he started team teaching. Perfect - he is a media teacher and film is my weakness, so he could bring in other ideas that I hadn't thought about or didn't know about. What was also really good is that he looked at my pages with really long URLs on them and saw how to make it better - QR codes! Such a great idea!

The students really got into the lesson today - quick paced, blended, colour. 
Thanks Alyx for the post-it inspiration.
Thanks (someone else on Twitter - I can't remember who posted it :/ ) for the What do I see? What do I think? What do I wonder? inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment