Pages

Friday 8 August 2014

#edchatnz Conference - Day 1

Slipped to HPSS early today, on day 2 of the conference, to give me a quick minute to reflect on yesterday's highlights without four children jumping all over me!

What a stunner you have pulled off, Danielle! Conferences are mammoth in the organisation and from this perspective - this one is seamless. You probably have been running around feeling like a chicken with her head cut off keeping everything going - and hats off to you lady! Sessions have been stellar, the organisation has been impeccable, and who cares that occasionally the technology gave problems, as technology is wont to do.

From Di's session on Design Thinking, I found new ways of approaching UDL. As I've been dipping my feet in with some classes this year, I've been doing the design - finding the problems for the kids and creating the solutions for these problems. Her session showed me ways to get students identifying problems and creating solutions - complete with hands on blended learning where I was able to practise the skills being spoken of.

From Amy and Erin's session on Personalised Learning, I was inspired by the way the children planned their days, knew exactly what they needed to know and where they were at on their learning journey. I would love to see this working; now I need to organise a time to sit with Amy (and probably bring one or two other members of staff with me who are looking at working on the same project) and learn how to do this. I know if I try and do it by myself I will make all kinds of mistakes and get frustrated because my mind does not think in a timetabling kind of way.

Then it was off to do a lesson observation in Megan's and Kylee's Art and English class. A very cool lesson which I really enjoyed. Here's the reflection on Keep Your Ideas to Yourself?

The day ended with an unconference - a spontaneous decision as the Student Led Workshops wasn't there. Slinking in the shadows I listened to others as they talked about the different ways they threw their learning, planning, lessons over to their students. Very interesting to hear how other newbies are finding the same difficulties and coming up with similar epic fails to me. But pretty cool - and affirming.

So now - Day 2 awaits! More awesome, more learning awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment