Pages

Saturday 30 August 2014

If They Can Do It, Why Can't I?

My visit to the local primary this week has me wondering: if they can do it, why can't I?

If they can personalise their lessons, why can't I?
If they can have several activities running at once, why can't I?
If they can have children learning several different ways, why can't I?
If they can have children follow a pictogram that shows their lessons, why can't I?
If they can have a range of different learning spaces in a traditional classroom, why can't I?
If they can have a couch and reading corner in their room, why can't I?

I don't believe that my tasks are any more difficult for my students than the skills the new entrants and year twos had to learn. 
I don't believe that my students can't have a personalised learning environment.
I don't believe that my students have to be learning exactly the same thing at exactly the same time.

I believe a range of tasks is necessary to help students achieve.
I believe equitable opportunity means giving each student the means they need to succeed.
I believe that a course designed with stage-appropriate tasks will allow more engagement, more personalisation, and deeper learning because students will have what they need to succeed.

Year Two Class

Whiteboard not the focus of the room

Student teacher conferencing
Walls and hanging displays that teach

New Entrants' Room

 Alphabet puzzle

 Letter Bingo

My son, doing his own thing with duplo 

Teacher helping student with a floor puzzle and helping to read the words 

An alphabet programme on the class computer 

Thanks @geomouldey  (+steve mouldey) for the link to your blog on the same topic: Lessons From Primary

No comments:

Post a Comment