Pages

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Book Corner 2014

Thanks Jo, for the tag. :)

Introducing...

Book Chat Meme Challenge 

Thanks for your time. Please copy and paste these questions into your own blog, include a photo of yourself reading, and tag other tweeps. Share the reading love.


BOOK CORNER 2014 


Name: 
Toni Cliffin

Claim to Fame: 
Wife, mama to four amazing kidlets, aunty to 5 (and two in the cooking) nieces and nephews, scavenger and collector of educational articles, and - if you ask the students - my age ranges from 21 to 40! 

1. What were your English classes like as a teen? 
Well seeing as my 6th form English teacher is likely to read this, I must be kind! Actually - truthfully, there's only good things to say about 6th form English anyway - and I still use what I learned then to how I teach now. Some things just stick! I always enjoyed English - and always enjoyed having an excuse to read. Probably didn't stick to the rules very well; never have been good at that!

2. What are you currently reading? 
Waiting for A Mind for Numbers (Barbara Oakley) and Mindset (Carol Dweck) to turn up. In the mean time, I'm reading Evaluating students’ evaluations of professors from the Economics of Education Review journal.

3. What were you doing prior to becoming an educator?
I trained right out of high school, first doing my BA(Hons) and then my Grad. Dip. Ed (Sec Teaching). I graduated teacher's college pregnant with my first baby, and so between graduating and actually starting teaching there were about 5 years. Most of them were spent in hospital after my second baby turned up 16 weeks early. Starship is actually an excellent place to meet therapists and learn a whole other side to education that I probably never would have without this experience!

4. What was on the family book shelf growing up?
We all had bookshelves in our room, so in the lounge was just a set of leather-bound encyclopedia. In my room - depending on age - were Babysitter's club (speaking to any 80s girl babies?), Jane Austen, books on leadership. 

5. Where do you seek Inspiration?
For what exactly?! My twitter feed is good for ideas of activities and modes of teaching, my school Facebook profile has a stream of 'expert' articles coming in from different people and affiliations, and of course, my three favourite teachers of teachers who sort me out - either by giving me a boot up the bum, or the next step to challenge me and make me better. Claire, Carol, and Thea.

6. Advice to teenagers?
Learn from others' mistakes - life is too short to make them all yourself.

7. Describe your Perfect Day?
When everything goes perfectly (OCD perfectionistic control freak? yup!)

8. Who would you want to have lunch with, dead or alive?
Hard - I don't really like going out for lunch. I'd much prefer to go and do something with someone else who has kids. So, before school ends this week I will check in with lady friends who have kids the same age and try and book in some play dates over the holidays (Jo - count yourself asked!!)

9. FREE CHOICE...
To recover from a week at school, I love to go for a walk in the bush or down the beach. Nothing like being outside to recharge my batteries.

Photo to come!

Here are the questions to copy and paste:

BOOK CORNER 2014 


Name:
Claim to Fame:
1. What were your English classes like as a teen?
2. What are you currently reading?
3. What were you doing prior to becoming an educator?
4. What was on the family book shelf growing up?
5. Where do you seek Inspiration?
6. Advice to teenagers?
7. Describe your Perfect Day?
8. Who would you want to have lunch with, dead or alive?
9. FREE CHOICE...

No comments:

Post a Comment