Pages

Tuesday 27 May 2014

Making a MakerSpace

Maker Space. Definitely one that I'm finding challenging. I'm not sure why - I've always considered myself a creative person. I love painting and creating and colour and tactile. I thought I'd pass it over to the students today to see what they could come up with. I needed inspiring and they're usually pretty good at coming up with things they want to do. 

I chose the Edutopia definition for my base as this seemed the most accessible to the resources I had on hand.

A makerspace is not solely a science lab, woodshop, computer lab or art room, but it may contain elements found in all of these familiar spaces. Therefore, it must be designed to accommodate a wide range of activities, tools and materials. Diversity and cross-pollination of activities are critical to the design, making and exploration process, and they are what set makerspaces and STEAM labs apart from single-use spaces. A possible range of activities might include:


Cardboard construction
Prototyping
Woodworking
Electronics
Robotics
Digital fabrication
Building bicycles and kinetic machines
Textiles and sewing



I rifled through my cupboards and pulled out a selection of coloured paper, glue, scissors, and felt pens. I still wasn't sure how this was going to work, but seeing as "English is all about making" (thanks Claire), I figured there must be something to be created. Even if I didn't know, surely the kids with their collective brains could think of something.

I instructed them to use the resources available to them to show:


To create links between themselves and the text like this:


 And some of their ideas were:


As always my juniors were my guinea pigs for my experiment and I'll let the photos tell the story today.

Year 9
Text: Private Peaceful


Student using tablet and coloured paper to deconstruct the characters


Dyslexic child creating a book - I thought this was particularly awesome.


A student working on showing the relationships between characters


A student creating a brochure to advertise her characters.

Year 10
Text: Merchant of Venice

 

 A student's interpretation of my Venn Diagram task


A student showing the relationship between Portia and Nerrisa



A student's representation of Shylock


And some students would still rather write.

I'm sure that there's got to be a way to incorporate playdough into my lessons, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment