Pages

Thursday 8 May 2014

Growth Mindset - What did it end up looking like?

So, at the end of week 1, it's period 5, and the kids are sitting in class reading their books. Why? Mainly because I feel I've used up all my creativity for the week, doing things that haven't been working. Reading their books is justifiable - the kids have to read the book for their external; it's just not a great use of time.

This week I've faced difficulties of internet reliability when I've tried to use Google Drive as a platform for collaborative exercises where the kids have been given freedom to explore the content that has interested them in the text, and difficulties of student engagement full stop. I've thrown my hands up in despair, sunk into my chair, and wondered "is it all worth it?"

I liked Alyx's comment the other day about failing forward.
I like the acronym of First Attempt In Learning.

My attempts failed because I wasn't meeting the students where they were at (in terms of interest and devices), and I wasn't meeting the school where it's at (in terms of internet reliability). So to fail forward, I stop and I evaluate - what do the kids have in their hand (literally as well as figuratively), and what am I going to do to use that to serve the parents and teenagers of my community?

I sent out a Google form asking parents if they were willing to send laptops to school. 70% of my parents responded, and of them, 78% were willing to send laptops to school. A good start for what I want to do with blended learning. Parents wanted a safe place to keep laptops, so I will get a new key cut for my lockable cabinet. Parents want to be assured that the laptops will enhance learning, so I will share my lessons with them to show them how the technology will be used. My senior management (DPs and Principal alike) have seen my form and the responses and are using it as part of their information in their strategic planning.

Following my week of experimentation, I have found lots of things that my kids and my infrastructure aren't ready for. I have embraced the challenges but been stopped by the obstacles. So now, I regroup. I go back to the drawing board (and back to the Twitter and Google+ spaces) and redraw inspiration - better equipped this time. I will face my specific challenges for my specific kids. I have no idea how I will do that yet - but I'm learning to be ok with that.

2 comments:

  1. I really, really admire your honest and thoughtful reflection. An excellent blogpost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an honest and thoughtful reflection of your week. It looks like you have exciting things to come with your blended e-learning. Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

    ReplyDelete