Pages

Tuesday 13 February 2018

Camp 2018

I love camp. I always have, so it was a privilege to experience a camp held at a different place, led by a different group of people. One of the last things I did at Long Bay was go to year 9 camp, so it's kinda cool that camp is one of the first things I'm doing here too. I found myself looking for Jeff a few times though, until I remembered who I was out with!

Camp was a day and half, with the focus on continuing to connect with my hublings. I love the philosophy, and had to confront my imbalanced tendency to be more of a doer than a talker. I like getting out and doing things, so the periods of time where we were sitting chatting I quickly found myself wondering what to do next. "What do I talk about now?!"

I know, I know, time spent chatting together is important! It's a skill that I can't neglect anymore; I'm going to have to practise it!

Due to a flooded campsite out at Piha Mill, we had two communities of students out at Carey Park instead of one. This led to needing an adapted programme which the EOTC team managed epically well.

For my community, Waiarohia, camp went like this:

Thursday
  • Left school at 9am, taking double-decker Ritchies buses to Carey Park Christian Camp in Henderson Valley.
  • On arrival, students congregated for safety briefing and morning tea. Staff also attended the safety briefing before being taken for safety training on the activities we were to run.
  • Hub activities on the field included name games and icebreakers.
  • Hub Relay was the first indication that as a hub we have plenty of work to do on communication! We managed to complete three tasks - out of about seven. I haven't decided if we had too many chiefs or too many followers. We definitely needed to get the leadership dynamics more balanced.
Rotation 1
  • Burma Trail
  • Confidence Course
Rotation 2
  • Bivvy Building




Rotation 3 (after dinner)
  • Problem Solving

Night Activities
  • Spotlight
  • Camp fire
  • Board Games
  • Sports
  • Night Burma Trail
Rotation 4
  • Riddles
  • Photo Challenge
  • Swim







No comments:

Post a Comment