Pages

Monday 30 June 2014

Learning to Learn - Holiday Homework

1st July 2014
Homework: What do I do When I Get Stuck?

(Challenge set by Mrs Kilian in her presentation)



Task 1: Question

Over the holidays, take time to ponder, question, reflect, inquire, and respond to the prompts Mrs Kilian gave us in her presentation. Here they are for you again:

What do I do when I get stuck?

  • What do I do?
  • What do my friends do?
  • What does my teacher do?
  • What do my parents do?

I will give you my strategies further down.

Task 2: Action

After you have come up with a range of strategies (I suggest minimum of three for each - some might be the same in each category and that's fine. See how many different strategies you can find), carry out the following task:
  • Pick 2 ideas that appeal to you.
  • Try them.
  • Then practice your reflective muscle by telling others how it went and why.
Task 3: Reflection

You can reflect on what happens in a variety of ways, such as:
(#1 is compulsory)
  1. Add a comment to the bottom of this blog sharing with others what happened. You never know - your success might be just the thing someone else needs to overcome their current obstacle.
    1. Please note: I'm inviting you to write on my professional blog where I reflect on my teaching. This blog is shared with teachers across the world, as well as within our school. I'm trusting you to keep your comments respectful, insightful, and professional.
  2. Carry out conversations on the class Facebook group
  3. Write about the outcomes in your journal
  4. Start a google hangout
  5. Write a blog, and then share the link on twitter, facebook, google plus (make sure your parents check your content, and make sure they are happy for you to do this first).
  6. Record your experience in a film clip
  7. Anything else you can think of - you are amazing at choosing your modes of presentation. Try and choose a mode you haven't used before, or haven't used in a while.
We will compare outcomes and discuss them during the first week back in Term 3.

Those Strategies I Promised You:
What does my teacher do when she gets stuck?
  • Leave it
  • Tweet out on Twitter asking for help
  • Research what other people are saying on the topic
  • Go and visit a friend 
  • Go and read a book
  • Go for a walk / swim
  • Play with my children
  • Ignore the problem
  • Sleep on it
  • Tell myself that I won't let the problem win; that I will find the solution and the next step forward
  • Remember that the journey of a lifetime can only be taken one step at a time (even if you can see where you want to be and it's still 5, 6, 10, 20 steps away).
Have fun and be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment